Have we ever thought of Marigold as an Important plant among Organic Farming and also to the benefit to human Health. Organil Services at present since been assessing many farms in Africa and Asia has observed the presence of Marigold in most farms which found meaning in integrating towards IPM.
Marigold is a valuable addition to any organic farm, offering a range of benefits including natural pest control, companion planting, and attracting beneficial insects. Here are some of the reasons why marigold is important in an organic farm:
- Natural pest control: Marigolds can help to repel pests such as aphids, whiteflies, and nematodes. They also produce a chemical called alpha-terthienyl, which is toxic to many soil-borne pests.
- Companion planting: Marigolds can enhance the growth of some crops when planted alongside them. Vegetables that can be planted with marigolds include potatoes, melons, tomatoes, broccoli, and others.
- Attracting beneficial insects: Marigolds can help to bring in ladybugs, lacewings, hoverflies, and other predatory insects that will eat aphids and other pests which can damage crops. Attracting such beneficial insect species to the farm will help to keep the ecosystem in balance and should make it less likely that any pest problems will get out of control.
- Trap crop: Marigolds may be an effective trap crop, meaning that they can be planted to attract pests away from other crops.
- Health benefits: Marigold is rich in carotenes and carotenoids, which are responsible for the flower’s vibrant yellow color and many medicinal properties. Lutein, a type of carotenoid found in the flower, is an important vitamin for maintaining eye health and is an essential antioxidant for the eyes. Other unique benefits of marigold is its ability to fight inflammation and infection. Marigold contains active compounds such as flavonoids, triterpenes, saponins, salicylic acid and mucilage that have anti-inflammatory, anti-wheal, antioxidant, analgesic and hydrating properties .
Organil Services on trail of respective farms suggests marigold as an important plant in an organic farm due to its natural pest control, companion planting, ability to attract beneficial insects and health benefits to humans.
Next time try the Herbal Marigold Tea which is also called the Natural drinkable skin glower.
(Anil M V, Founder of Organil Services)
Organil Services are Registered for Organic Certification Consultancy and Accreditation Services in the Industry. Organic Regulatory food consultancy is a service that helps organic food producers and processors comply with the complex and evolving standards of organic certification. WhatsApp for a Prepaid Consultancy +91 8606551335